Thursday, February 9, 2017

Alas for that day! For the day of the Lord is near; it will come like destruction from the Almighty.

Joel 1

Alas for that day! For the day of the Lord is near; it will come like destruction from the Almighty. v15

We must live in reverent fear of the Lord...not that He is an angry God full of wrath and seeking to destroy anyone in His path.  On the contrary, God loves us - even while we were still sinners (Romans 5:8) - He is slow to anger and abounding in love, and He is jealous FOR and protective of us (see more here for commentary on righteous jealousy).

We must respect that God is all powerful, all knowing and He knows what is best for us and that He promises to save us from the sting of sin and death.  If we repent of our sins, He will save us.  We must also have faith and live for the eternal, being ready for His return or for when we are called home to heaven to be with Him.

So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him. Matthew 24:44

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You ARE a great God who is all powerful, all knowing, slow to anger, and abounding in love for me.  You know what is best for me and You came to save me - thank You Jesus!  I am not worth such love - I continue to be lazy and selfish.  Please forgive me and help me overcome such sin and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself strength and wisdom and please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Help me serve You and my family, the church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.