Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Though you soar like the eagle and make your nest among the stars, from there I will bring you down,” declares the Lord.

Obadiah 1

Though you soar like the eagle and make your nest among the stars, from there I will bring you down,” declares the Lord. v4

As a follow up to yesterday's post, I am reminded once again about the dangers of arrogance and pride.  I am guilty of these sins and need these reminders.

Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you. Romans 12:3
 
Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall. Proverbs 16:18
 
Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes and clever in their own sight. Isaiah 5:21
 
 Instead, we should focus on denying ourselves and being humble:
 
Better to be lowly in spirit along with the oppressed than to share plunder with the proud. Proverbs 16:19

"Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me. Luke 9:23, Matthew 16:24

 “So the last will be first, and the first will be last.” Matthew 20:16

"Indeed there are those who are last who will be first, and first who will be last.” Luke 13:30
 
My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God, creator of all things, in and before all things and in control!  Apart from You I can do nothing!  I am thankful for how You have protected me, encouraged me, blessed me, etc.  I am humbled that You would do all of this for me because I am broken!  I continue to have issues with arrogance and pride - please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal her of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.