Friday, February 24, 2017

Those who cling to worthless idols turn away from God’s love for them. But I, with shouts of grateful praise, will sacrifice to you. What I have vowed I will make good. I will say, ‘Salvation comes from the Lord.

Jonah 2

Those who cling to worthless idols turn away from God’s love for them. But I, with shouts of grateful praise, will sacrifice to you. What I have vowed I will make good. I will say, ‘Salvation comes from the Lord. v8-9

What's interesting is that while Jonah is desperate and cries out to God, it does not appear certain that he truly had a contrite heart and that he both acknowledged his sin (Jonah 1:12 establishes this) and explicitly sought God forgiveness for this sin.  You can acknowledge God's sovereignty and at the same time not fully surrender to such sovereignty...this to me appears to be the issue with Jonah...and of course with many of us, myself included.

We need to heed Jesus words from the Beatitudes in Matthew 5:

Blessed are the poor in spirit,
    for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn,
    for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek,
    for they will inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
    for they will be filled.
Blessed are the merciful,
    for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart,
    for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers,
    for they will be called children of God.
Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
    for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.  Matthew 5:3-10

If we are who Jesus talks about in the Beatitudes, we surrender ourselves to Him in the way that Jesus seeks (Exodus 20, Matthew 22:37-40).

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are without a doubt King of Kings, Lord of Lords and sovereign over all for all times.  I can do no good things without You and all good and perfect gifts come from You.  You are in and before all things, You created all things through You and for You and You hold all things together.  You bless me well beyond what I deserve.  Thank You Jesus but I desperately need You to cleanse my sins and to help me turn from such sins of harsh words towards others.  Help me turn towards You and love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind.  Help me love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself strength and wisdom.  Please heal and cure Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and savior.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.