Monday, February 27, 2017

But the Lord said, “You have been concerned about this plant, though you did not tend it or make it grow. It sprang up overnight and died overnight. And should I not have concern for the great city of Nineveh, in which there are more than a hundred and twenty thousand people who cannot tell their right hand from their left—and also many animals?”

Jonah 4

But the Lord said, “You have been concerned about this plant, though you did not tend it or make it grow. It sprang up overnight and died overnight. And should I not have concern for the great city of Nineveh, in which there are more than a hundred and twenty thousand people who cannot tell their right hand from their left—and also many animals?” v10-11

Arrogance, selfishness and righteousness are at the core of Jonah's anger at God's compassion.  God's response to Jonah is difficult for me today as I see much of myself in Jonah.  I often feel like I know what is best, I am critical of those who disagree with my view and I get angry or grumble/complain about those who criticize me.  

God is sovereign.  God is good.  And I must remember that His thoughts and ways are not my own and that I must come around to His way of thinking not vice versa.

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord. Isaiah 55:8

I must become present to what God IS doing in my life NOT what He is NOT doing in my life.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a great God, God of all creation, the First and the Last and You are my Lord and Savior, having loved and chosen me while I was still sinning and even before I was born.  Thank You Jesus for adopting me as You son but please forgive me for my arrogance, selfishness, and righteousness.  Help me overcome and turn from such sin and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself strength.  Please heal and cure her of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Help me serve You, my family, my church and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.