Friday, June 16, 2017

Then Jacob made a vow, saying, “If God will be with me and will watch over me on this journey I am taking and will give me food to eat and clothes to wear so that I return safely to my father’s household, then the Lord will be my God and this stone that I have set up as a pillar will be God’s house, and of all that you give me I will give you a tenth.”

Genesis 28

Then Jacob made a vow, saying, “If God will be with me and will watch over me on this journey I am taking and will give me food to eat and clothes to wear so that I return safely to my father’s household, then the Lord will be my God and this stone that I have set up as a pillar will be God’s house, and of all that you give me I will give you a tenth.” v20-22

Abraham first tithed in Genesis 14 and here we see tithing by Jacob.

Giving willingly back to the Lord acknowledges that whatever we have is because of God and it does not belong to us and we must give back to Him who is the source of all good and perfect gifts (James 1:17).

David appropriately said when he prayed to God to offer gifts needed to build the first temple:



But who am I, and who are my people, that we should be able to give as generously as this? Everything comes from you, and we have given you only what comes from your hand. We are foreigners and strangers in your sight, as were all our ancestors. Our days on earth are like a shadow, without hope. Lord our God, all this abundance that we have provided for building you a temple for your Holy Name comes from your hand, and all of it belongs to you.                                    1 Chronicles 29:14-16

A key reason for tithing is to demonstrate our trust in God that He will always provide:

The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. Hebrews 1:3

See also Matthew 6:25-34

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God and I know You love - and that You have rescued me from the punishment I deserve.  Thank You Jesus.  I am not worth such love.  I continue to sin - I am lazy and selfish.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.