Friday, June 23, 2017

What is this dream you had? Will your mother and I and your brothers actually come and bow down to the ground before you?” His brothers were jealous of him, but his father kept the matter in mind.

Genesis 37

What is this dream you had? Will your mother and I and your brothers actually come and bow down to the ground before you?” His brothers were jealous of him, but his father kept the matter in mind. v10-11

Joseph is a "young man of seventeen" (v2) but I suspect during biblical times, this was certainly old enough for him to be expected to act like a man and not act like he did here.  He certainly had the gift of interpreting dreams, but this was not cause for him to stir up trouble with his brothers.  God wants us to use our gifts - not to throw them into others' faces.  Joseph probably should not have given Jacob a bad report about them (v2) - there is no evidence Jacob asked for this report.  

God despises arrogance and He also despises gossip.

Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you. Romans 12:3
 
See also post here.

For I am afraid that when I come I may not find you as I want you to be, and you may not find me as you want me to be. I fear that there may be discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, slander, gossip, arrogance and disorder. 2 Corinthians 12:20
 
My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God - You have blessed me well beyond what I deserve.  Thank You.  You give me many second chances - despite my sin, which continues.  Please forgive me for my laziness and selfishness.  Help me overcome such sin and turn towards You and love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.