Friday, July 21, 2017

To the Israelites the glory of the Lord looked like a consuming fire on top of the mountain.

Exodus 24

To the Israelites the glory of the Lord looked like a consuming fire on top of the mountain. v17

God IS a consuming fire - these words "consuming fire" appear ten times in the Bible, including this reference in Hebrews:

Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, for our “God is a consuming fire".  Hebrews 12:28-29

The question is, do we submit to God to the extent that we allow God to be at the center of our lives - for this is what God desires for us.  See Matthew 22:37 where Jesus says the greatest commandment is to "love the Lord your God with all of your heart, soul, and mind". 

We must recognize this and submit to Him...

For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. Colossians 1:16-17

...so that we can allow Him to work through us.

And we also thank God continually because, when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as a human word, but as it actually is, the word of God, which is indeed at work in you who believe. 1 Thessalonians 2:13

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You ARE a consuming fire and I know You are work in me working for Your glory and my good - thank You Jesus!  I am not worth such an effort - I am selfish.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul and mind and love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.