Monday, January 20, 2020

And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. 'He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death' or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”

Revelation 21-22:5

And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God.  'He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death' or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.” Revelation 21:3-4

Session #12 of David Platt - Revelation: The Hope of Glory (requires login which I have though my church) focuses on Revelation 21-22:5.  The title of the session is The Consummation of the Kingdom.

We live in between two worlds:
  • pilgrims on a journey in this country today.
  • citizens of a kingdom in a country to come.
 We live between two times:
  • the birth of Christ; kingdom of God has come and is a present reality.
  • the return of Christ; the king of God is coming and His kingdom is our future.
We live for one purpose for the glory of God...meaning it is glorified when God's kingdom is consummated; people who are ruled and a place where the King has dominion, and purpose for the King and His kingdom.  Revelation is the culmination of the Bible - all of history pointing to this point.
  • Creation: Genesis 1-2 | people (His blessing), fellowship (perfect), purpose (God's glory multiplied to all peoples)
  • The Fall: Genesis 3-11 | disrupted fellowship (place), God's glory marred
  • Patriarchs: Genesis 12-50 | place and promised fellowship
  • Exodus and Conquest: Exodus - 1 Samuel 8 God and His place | tabernacle (place)
  • United Monarchy: 1 Samuel 9 - 1 Kings 11; 1 Chronicles - 2 Chronicles 9: God with His people | temple (place)
  • Divided Monarchy: 1 Kings 12 - 2 Kings; 2 Chronicles 10 - Esther - God with His people | exile (place)
  • Jesus: Matthew - John - God among His people | incarnation (place)
  • Present: Acts - Jude - God IN His people | body (place)
  • New Creation: Revelation - God's final blessing and judgement

We give our lives to this kingdom - the climax of this story. Revelation 21:6 - "It is done".

It will be the end in two ways:
  • inexpressible joy; Heaven exemplifies God's eternal blessing for conquerors who have turned from this world to Christ.
  • irreversible justice; Hell exemplifies God's eternal judgement for cowards who have turned from Christ to this world.
We're going to dwell forever in the in-most place with the Holy God of the universe! Revelation 21:3

Death will be replaced by life!  Revelation 21:4

No more sin.  No more sorrow.  No more sickness.  No more separation. Tree of life - exists as blessing - no longer as curse Revelation 22:2-3

We will see His face! Revelation 22:4 We will reign with Him bodily resurrected - all creation will be restored. Every nation, people, tribe, and tongue living, loving, working, and worshiping together. Unified songs: worthy is the lamb! Glory to our God!

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a great God indeed and it gives me great peace and excitement to KNOW that You have already defeated death and that I will reign with You forever in Heaven!  Thank You Jesus for reserving a place for me.  I am not deserving.  I sin...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.