Saturday, January 25, 2020

“Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves; otherwise we will be scattered over the face of the whole earth.”

Genesis 10-11

“Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves; otherwise we will be scattered over the face of the whole earth.” Genesis 11:4


Day 4 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) focuses on the ancestral lineage of Noah's sons, and in particular from Shem to Abram; it also includes the story of the Tower of Babel.

As I did in yesterday's post, it is important to emphasize that we exist to glorify God.  While many in today's culture delight in diversity, without saying this is good or bad, it is of note to think about how commonness of language (see Genesis 11:1) might ease cooperation and unity in early people groups (although not necessarily guarantee it).  Unity is then used as a source to build the Tower of Babel as indicated in Genesis 11:3 where it is said "They said to each other"....This unity is then used as a basis to reject God's sovereignty as the people sought to make a name for themselves vs God.

We all seek significance and recognition - yet our significance is found in God.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God and You alone reign over all and You are worthy of worship.  You are King of kings and Lord of lords.  You have also adopted me into Your family - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love.  I sin daily...seek glory for myself.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.