Tuesday, January 14, 2020

“The kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord and of his Messiah, and he will reign for ever and ever.”

Revelation 8-11

“The kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord and of his Messiah, and he will reign for ever and ever.” Revelation 11:15

Session #6 of  David Platt - Revelation: The Hope of Glory (requires login which I have though my church) focuses on Revelation 8-11. 

Key Reminder: The purpose of this book, is not to promote speculation about the future; we must be compelled to act in the present. 

Chapters 8-11, use trumpet blasts to warn of coming judgement and to signal salvation/victory. These trumpets use imagery use similar imagery from the Egyptian plagues (Exodus 7-13) and Joshua's victory at Jericho.  These trumpets represent:
  • 1-4: systematic physical judgements across creation; do not put your ultimate hope in created things
  • 5-6: terrifying personal judgments for idolatry and immorality (8:13); woe spoken to unbelievers throughout Revelation; demonic forces unleashed under the authority of God; third of mankind wiped out (9:15); despite harmful effects of idolatry and immorality rebellion continues (9:20-21) - this is a scene today!
  • God is giving the world warning!  Turn from sin!
  • God is calling the church to war; we are not at peace time with the spiritual forces of evil.
Revelation written to compel us to act in two ways:  
  • Fervently pray for God's kingdom to come
  • Fearlessly proclaim God's gospel to all
Our battle is fierce and the spiritual demons want to destroy us.  However, our prayers are effective (8:2) - return of Jesus and judgement is result of our prayers!  Our cries go up and His kingdom comes down!

Our God is faithful - responds to our prayers.  He will demonstrate His power over the gods of this world. He will vindicate His people amid opposition in this world.  He will extend His mercy to sinners around the world.  He will uphold his justice amid sin in this world.

We must fearlessly proclaim God's gospel to all.  In chapters 8-11, words prophet and prophecized repeatedly used representing how God's people proclaim God's word and truth in the midst of judgement.  Although our suffering is expected, our lives are secure (11:18)!  Out task is prophetic!  Don't stay silent!  Our message is clear!  Our light is unquenchable and our souls are touchable (11:5-6).  Our power is invincible and our death during the end times will be temporary (11:11-12).  Our resurrection will be sure! V15 represents how our mission will be complete and our God will be glorified! We will behold His majesty! His judgement will be final and His servants will be rewarded and His enemies destroyed.  We will be welcomed by His mercy.

My Prayer: Jesus - You are indeed a great God and Your will reign forever and ever and I am grateful that You have adopted me into Your family!  I am not deserving of salvation as I still sin!  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.