Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life.

1 John 5

Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life. v12

John ends the first of his two letters likely from Ephesus to the church body at large. As he ends this letter, he reminds us who Jesus is and what faith in Jesus provides.  John tells us that Jesus' commands are not burdensome (v3) and from my own experience I believe this to be true and I posted on a similar theme (freedom) last Monday.  Because only Jesus provides true freedom, and because we know that He loves us and only wants what is best for us, we can be assured that we have a life provides an unsurpassed joy.

John Piper's team writes that "joy is not optional" for believers.

I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. John 10:10

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an incredible God and You provide life - to thes full...thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such a God.  I sin...far too often...every day...I don't want to disappoint but I do.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.