Thursday, January 23, 2020

But the Lord said to him, “Not so; anyone who kills Cain will suffer vengeance seven times over.” Then the Lord put a mark on Cain so that no one who found him would kill him.

Genesis 4-5

But the Lord said to him, “Not so; anyone who kills Cain will suffer vengeance seven times over.” Then the Lord put a mark on Cain so that no one who found him would kill him. 4:15

Day 2 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith).

This morning's study focuses on the first family of creation with the birth of Cain and Abel (later on with Seth).  The study continues through the birth of 10 successive generations through Noah and his sons.  The study highlights the story of Cain and Able and their offerings to God where Abel's offering is pleasing to the Lord (4:4) yet Cain's is not (4:5).  Cain is punished but like Adam and Eve they are spared their lives and Cain is protected by the mark God places on him (4:15).  The study focuses on God's mercy indicating*:

"Although God punishes Cain for his wrongdoing, the text gives some interesting insight into the character of God by indicating that, despite Cain’s great sin, God nevertheless shows mercy to him. This is not to be a unique act of grace. God’s mercy will be seen time and again. Unfortunately, Cain apparently does not respond favorably to God’s mercy, at least if his descendants are any reflection of Cain’s continued character."

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) . Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

Questions worth reflection include (1) to what extent have we experienced God's mercy - I am only on day two of my year-long study and I have already encountered two great instances of God's mercy! (2) to what extent am I grateful and do I respond appropriately in worship of God's mercy?

Think about what could have been the result of Cain's life should he repented of his sin and turned towards God - there are ample examples of repentance and how God used sinners (all of us) to bring others to Him.  Think Moses and Paul (both murderers!).  Another great example is Chuck Colson - from Watergate to Prison Fellowship - what a turn!

This is the nature of God's mercy - we don't deserve it, but God time and time again pours out it for us, including through death on the cross of His Son Jesus!

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of mercy for me - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving - I grumble and complain and often gossip - please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You. Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin and help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.