Tuesday, January 28, 2020

“Your slave is in your hands,” Abram said. “Do with her whatever you think best.” Then Sarai mistreated Hagar; so she fled from her.

Genesis 15-17

“Your slave is in your hands,” Abram said. “Do with her whatever you think best.” Then Sarai mistreated Hagar; so she fled from her.  Genesis 16:6

Day 6 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) focuses on God's renewal of His covenant with Abram that from Abram will be a "great nation" (Genesis 12) and on the birth of Abram's son through Hagar (Ishmael) as well as the coming birth of son through his and Sarai's own blood (Issac).

About 2.5 years ago, I posted on Abram's passivity as a man when Sarai's patience for fulfillment of God's promise ran thin.  I do agree that Abram should not have agreed to Sarai's plan and both should have been more patient.  Yet this morning my focus is on patience and the havoc we wreak when we seek to impose our will vs God's will - particularly when we know God's will.

This is a contrast in patience - Abram and Sarai while largely patient, demonstrate at least a moment of impatience; yet God is perfectly patient, slow to anger and abounding in love

We know that Ishmael and his descendants live in hostility with those of Issac, God even foretells of this hostility (see Genesis 16:11-12). This hostility rages on with intensity to this day!  That's how off the rails Sarai's plan took things.

John Piper helps us this morning with this post, and by pointing us to Isaiah:

Blessed are all who wait for him! Isaiah 30:18

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a great God who love me and who has poured out so much grace, compassion, and mercy for me - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  I worry and I speak ill of others - please forgive me Jesus!  Help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo. Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to accept You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.