Monday, January 27, 2020

“With raised hand I have sworn an oath to the Lord, God Most High, Creator of heaven and earth, that I will accept nothing belonging to you, not even a thread or the strap of a sandal, so that you will never be able to say, ‘I made Abram rich.’ I will accept nothing but what my men have eaten and the share that belongs to the men who went with me—to Aner, Eshkol and Mamre. Let them have their share.”

Genesis 12-14

“With raised hand I have sworn an oath to the Lord, God Most High, Creator of heaven and earth, that I will accept nothing belonging to you, not even a thread or the strap of a sandal, so that you will never be able to say, ‘I made Abram rich.’ I will accept nothing but what my men have eaten and the share that belongs to the men who went with me—to Aner, Eshkol and Mamre. Let them have their share.” Genesis 14:22-24

Day 5 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) focuses on God's call of Abram.

Abram is called by God to a land that He will show him (Genesis 12:1-4) and Abram goes with his wife Sarai, and his nephew Lot.  Soon after his arrival famine struck the land (Genesis 12:10) and Abram moves on towards Egypt.  It is here where Abram hopes to prevent Pharaoh from killing him and seizing Sarai (due to her beauty) - he deceives Pharaoh and refers to Sarai as his sister (Genesis 12:12-13).  The plot falls apart and they are all expelled from Egypt (Genesis 12:20).

Abram and Lot soon separate with Lot settling in Sodom while Abram settles in Hebron. Sodom is sacked during a war of the kings and Lot is taken captive (Genesis 14:12). Abram bravely rescues Lot (Genesis 14:14-16) and is met by Melchizedek king of Salem who blesses Abram and offers Abram to keep the tenth of everything Abram offers Melchizedek (see Biblical references to Melchizedek here).  

Abram's great faith is known, and while he might perhaps be best known by other events in his life (most notably by his willingness to sacrifice his own son Issac - see Genesis 22) I think it is important to pause and highlight Abram's response to Melchizedek's offer to Abram to keep the goods Abram tithes to Melchizedek (Genesis 14:12). I agree with the assessment offered here by David McLemore:

"Abram, for his part, gave instead of took. True faith has that effect. When given the two choices of giving God the glory or take the spoils of war, the man of faith glorifies God. “I have lifted my hand to the Lord, God Most High, Possessor of heaven and earth, that I would not take a thread or a sandal strap or anything that is yours, lest you should say, ‘I have made Abram rich.’” Abram knew where his riches truly came from".

This is one of the great ironies of the Bible for great men of faith.  We often see great recognition of those (such as Abraham) who seek not glory for themselves but glory for God - once again - this is why exist.  

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, what a great God You are - You are indeed the source of all that I am and all that I possess.  Thank You Jesus for blessing me well beyond what I deserve.  I sin...daily, including my neglect of You over earthly matters.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me turn from my sin towards You and love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.