Thursday, January 9, 2020

Then he placed his right hand on me and said: “Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last. I am the Living One; I was dead, and now look, I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades".

Revelation 1

Then he placed his right hand on me and said: “Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last. I am the Living One; I was dead, and now look, I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades". v17-18

Session #2 of  David Platt - Revelation: The Hope of Glory (requires login which I have though my church) focuses on Revelation 1:9-20.  Platt reminds us, as he did in the introductory video message, that we should avoid over analyzing the imagery of Revelation but instead grab hold of the over-arching messages Christ sought to convey to the 1st century church which was in the midst of great persecution.  Revelation is the "most majestic portrait of Jesus ever"; we have an indescribable Christ in all of His glory and an "unshakeable foundation for our lives" which should encourage us today, especially if we are weak, sorrowful, confused, afraid, weary, timid, etc.

Takeaways from session #2:
  • We are a family of brothers and sisters in Christ that spans generations, locations, etc.; an army engaged in battle; John writes to seven churches during a period of intense persecution; and we share (companion) in sufferings (that we experience from obedience to God) - see v9; this suffering does not cease; we are not following a "health and wealth" savior; Christ is suffering savior and we are suffering saints; John for example is exiled on Patmos 
  • Although there is a price to be paid for following Christ we should not stop proclaiming His Word (Revelation 6:9, 12:17, 20:4) as we participate in Christ's reign, experience victory over sin and death and lead others to Christ; John writes to us to endure (see also Romans 8:28-30  Romans 6, Philippians 1:12-14) we experience victory over sin and lead others to salvation we endure in power of christ - John writes to us to encourage patient endurance
  • We can endure patiently by participating in Christ's reign and by fully appreciating the majestic portrait of Christ as written in v12-16; these attributes include
    • Jesus as man
    • Jesus as God
    • Infinitely wise with knowledge of all things who searches our hearts and is aware of all we may like to hide
    • Is the Alpha and Omega (see references)
    • Holy with no error
    • No equal
    • Voice that resounds with authority over all things
    • Declares eternal salvation 
    • Decrees final judgement 
    • Face radiates with light
    • Has both the first and last word with creation (Colossians 1) - the sole force behind all of human history 
    • Was dead for a time but alive for all time; 
    • Death controlled by him (v18)
    • No one or nothing compares to Him  
    • Just as prophesied in Zechariah 4, He is in our midst, present among us just as with the seven churches and using churches as light to world  - He holds us, guards us, possesses us, protects and guides us, and has a purpose for us to be a light to the world.
We should feel compelled to fall down in worship; non Christians should have much fear; Christians should not have fear but should rise up as witnesses, compelling us to radically complete our mission given to us by Him.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You ARE majestic and I know You ARE in my midst - thank You Jesus for standing with me.  I am not deserving of such a God.  I sin...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.