Thursday, January 16, 2020

I saw in heaven another great and marvelous sign: seven angels with the seven last plagues—last, because with them God’s wrath is completed. And I saw what looked like a sea of glass glowing with fire and, standing beside the sea, those who had been victorious over the beast and its image and over the number of its name.

Revelation 15-16

I saw in heaven another great and marvelous sign: seven angels with the seven last plagues—last, because with them God’s wrath is completed. And I saw what looked like a sea of glass glowing with fire and, standing beside the sea, those who had been victorious over the beast and its image and over the number of its name. Revelation 15:1-2

Session #8 of David Platt - Revelation: The Hope of Glory (requires login which I have though my church) focuses on Revelation 15-16.

Quick Review of book and what has been covered so far in Revelation - apocalyptic visions filled with prophetic pronouncements written as letter to 1st century church.  Climax of all prophecies in the Bible.  Implications for all churches throughout history.  Not intended to create divisions in the church through various interpretations, instead to provide unshakable hope and encouragement as we endure to avoid sin and seduction.  It refutes deception and encourages mission.  The book should drive us to Christ.

These visions include various symbols and numbers (which often lead to various interpretations) - we should avoid too much focus on any interpretation but instead grab hold of the core truths of this book and gospel - to which we should all agree.

Visions are arranged cyclically, not chronologically.  Seven letters, seals, trumpets, visions, bowls...with each cycle things intensify.

God will one day pour out His wrath fully and finally on the earth and everyone will drink His judgement forever.

How do we worship God in His wrath?  We can understand in the following context.
  1. We must start with a high view of God; song in Revelation 3; God is sovereign over all.
  2. God is feared by all.  King of all nations.  
  3. God is glorified above all.  
  4. God is Holy in all of His attributes.
  5. God is righteous in all of His ways.
  6. God is loving toward all His creation.
We then move to a humble view of man (who has denounced the sovereignty of God, who has disregarded the fear of God, who has defamed the glory of God, who has dishonored the holiness of God, who has despised the righteousness of God, who has denied the love of God) leading us to a view where God is infinitely worthy of eternal worship! Man is infinitely deserving of God's eternal wrath!

Land on the hope of the gospel!  God has sent His Son - Jesus Christ - who died for sinners.  God expressed His wrath towards sin so that believers would be spared.  At the cross, God has endured His wrath against sin, enabling salvation for sinners.

Don't underestimate the seriousness of Your sin - repent!

Followers of Christ - walk in purity and endure!  Witness with urgency. Worship with sincerity!  His wrath is not just evidence of His anger but also His love.  God's love without wrath would be indifferent.  Love requires wrath - to oppose that which destroys what we love.  God's justice without wrath would be ineffective. God's love, justice and wrath together are indescribable.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who is worthy of worship indeed both because of Your love and Your justice - both of which are perfect and Holy.  Thank You for adopting me into Your family and saving me from eternal damnation.  I am not deserving.  I gossip and have other sin - please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You and help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.