Friday, January 31, 2020

Then God said to him in the dream, “Yes, I know you did this with a clear conscience, and so I have kept you from sinning against me. That is why I did not let you touch her.

Genesis 20-21

Then God said to him in the dream, “Yes, I know you did this with a clear conscience, and so I have kept you from sinning against me. That is why I did not let you touch her. Genesis 20:6


Day 8 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) focuses on Abraham's deception of Abimelek and the expulsion of Hagar and Ishmael.

With his lie to Abimelek that Sarah is his sister, once again Abraham displays what my commentary* indicates as a "tendency toward deception" which represents the "same character flaw [that] will be seen again in his son and grandsons. It simply stands as a warning that even men and women of faith can lapse into great sin".

The commentary* goes on to state that "if there is any encouragement, however, it is in knowing that while there is bad in the best of mankind, there is also good in the worst. As a Canaanite, Abimelek is not a believer in the true God, and undoubtedly engages in common heathen practices. Yet he asserts in his defense to God that he has acted in good conscience, even if he is somehow still guilty in God’s eyes; then he responds to divine rebuke with repentance, generosity, and kindness".

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) . Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition.

We should take comfort in knowing how God uses ordinary people such as Abraham and ourselves, as He redeems our sin and uses it for His glory - doing amazing things in the process. 

I am also comforted by John Piper's post on God's providence and sovereignty by both restraining Satan and evil AND prompting good.  He is in control.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God and You ARE in control restraining evil and prompting good - You redeem my sin and have saved me - thank You Jesus!  I am not worthy of such love and blessings.  I worry and am often very difficult with others.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to Your Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.