Sunday, January 12, 2020

Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, saying: “To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be praise and honor and glory and power, for ever and ever!”

Revelation 4-5

Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, saying: “To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be praise and honor and glory and power, for ever and ever!” v13

Session #4 of  David Platt - Revelation: The Hope of Glory (requires login which I have though my church) focuses on Revelation 4-5 which Platt refers to as two of the most glorious books of Bible as all creatures in the universe give glory and ceaseless praise to God!

Core takeaway of this session: how does God motivate people to run from sin and to hold fast to Him, to spend lives making Gospel known?  He does this by showing us the battle of God vs evil in light of who God is in ALL of His glory.. 

Portrait of the glory of God, The Father, The Spirit, the Trinity
  • God the Father: sits at center of universe - everything!
  • Surrounded by unending praise (4:8-11)
  • Judge of every man (4:5)
  • He tempers wrath with mercy
  • Holy above all
  • Power over all
  • Infinitely timeless (4:8)
  • Infinitely glorious
  • Supreme, sustainer, sovereign over all things (4:11, 5:1)
  • Conquering lion
  • Slaughtered lamb (standing) (5:6)
  • His worth is undisputed (5:9, 12)
  • His work is unforgettable
  • His worship is universal 
  • Omnipresent, omniscient, omnipotent
  • He enacts judgement
  • He enables salvation
  • God is three persons; each person is fully God; there is one God
Because God is infinitely glorious - 10,000 years from now, there will be more glory to be explored!

God will NEVER be boring!

Glory of God:
  1. Compel us to receive salvation; God holds the future glorification of believers in His hand; holds final damnation of unbelievers in His hand (3:21).
  2. Empowers us to escape temptation; we overcome idolatry by glimpsing a greater God.  We fight immortality through fulfillment in our Father.
  3. Enables us to endure tribulation; God is in control; our enemy has been conquered; our suffering will one day conclude.
  4. Motivates us to accomplish mission; let's pray passionately (5:8); give sacrificially; go confidently; die willingly.
My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are glorious indeed and while I have only received a glimpse of Your glory - I am compelled, empowered, enabled, and motivated to grow in my love and service of You.  Thank You Jesus!  Yet I am not deserving of the blessings and love You pour out for me.  I sin...daily and need You to forgive me and intervene daily on my behalf.  Help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.