Friday, January 3, 2020

We know that anyone born of God does not continue to sin; the One who was born of God keeps them safe, and the evil one cannot harm them. We know that we are children of God, and that the whole world is under the control of the evil one. We know also that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true. And we are in him who is true by being in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life.

1 John 5

We know that anyone born of God does not continue to sin; the One who was born of God keeps them safe, and the evil one cannot harm them. We know that we are children of God, and that the whole world is under the control of the evil one. We know also that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true. And we are in him who is true by being in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life. v18-20

As I wrap my study of 1 John, my attention is drawn once more towards commentary by John MacArthur, who highlights "Five Confidences of a True Christian" in his discussion of 1 John 5:13-21. MacArthur* indicates that the apostle John "accentuates their certainty [confidence] by using the word know seven times in this section".
  1. Confident of eternal life in Christ (5:13) - I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.
  2. Confident of answered prayer (5:14-17) -  This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him. If you see any brother or sister commit a sin that does not lead to death, you should pray and God will give them life. I refer to those whose sin does not lead to death. There is a sin that leads to death. I am not saying that you should pray about that. All wrongdoing is sin, and there is sin that does not lead to death.
  3. Confident of victory over sin (5:18) - We know that anyone born of God does not continue to sin; the One who was born of God keeps them safe, and the evil one cannot harm them.
  4. Confident of belonging to God (5:19) - We know that we are children of God, and that the whole world is under the control of the evil one.
  5. Confident of Christ being the one, true God (5:20) -  We know also that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true. And we are in him who is true by being in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life.
*MacArthur, John F.. The MacArthur Bible Commentary (Kindle Locations 64207-64209). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition. 

I believe this discussion on confidence holds AT LEAST three key applications: (1) that we can have a confident faith that is strong based on the firm, unshakeable nature of God - this is particularly important in the face of persecution; (2) that we can be confident people knowing we are part of God's family, He loves us, is with us always, we can rely on Him, and count on the same power that raised Jesus Christ from the grave; (3) that confidence is first and foremost based on humility and the need for a Savior, and that this humility serves to refrain from arrogance.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who gives me confidence - on many levels!  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such a God and such love. I continue to sin...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.