Saturday, January 18, 2020

“Hallelujah! Salvation and glory and power belong to our God, for true and just are his judgments. He has condemned the great prostitute who corrupted the earth by her adulteries. He has avenged on her the blood of his servants.”

Revelation 19

“Hallelujah! Salvation and glory and power belong to our God, for true and just are his judgments. He has condemned the great prostitute who corrupted the earth by her adulteries.  He has avenged on her the blood of his servants.” Revelation 19:1-2

Session #10 of David Platt - Revelation: The Hope of Glory (requires login which I have though my church) focuses on Revelation 19.

Jesus arrives! The battle is over!  This is where all of eternity is headed.
  • Core message of this chapter: man centered worldliness will ultimately be overcome by God-centered worship - 19:10.
  • God orchestrates all of history to display His glory v1, 3, 4, 6 - only time in NT when Hallelujah is mentioned.
  • Goal to which all history is headed is glory of God.
  • God ordains all of His people to enjoy His glory - our deepest satisfaction/delight/joy is found not in this world but in God.
  • Bow before the splendor of God the Father; He is victorious/glorious/omnipotent/just/eternal/mighty (almighty mentioned 9 times)/sovereign - 7:10, 12:10, 19:2, Psalm 149:1-6, Revelation 6:9-11; do not play around with the justice of God
  • Behold the supremacy of Christ the Son 19:11-16 (not on a donkey but a war horse), faithful and true, righteous, Messianic warrior 9:15, sees everything; many crowns on His head (Revelation 12, 13 show Satan playing king but this is to seduce us - but this is NOT so), much mystery to His name 19:12, He conquers God's enemy (see also Isaiah 63), He ends the history of this world (but there is not battle!), He rules the nations of this world 19:15, brings God's wrath upon this world - upon sinful men and women, Satanic agents and ambassadors! (19:17-21), He is the King of kings and Lord of lords 19:16
  • Let's revere Him 19:5! No room for casual worship!
  • Let's rejoice Him 19:7-8
  • Let's be ready for His coming! Walk by faith by Him! Remain faithful despite persecution, by enduring, obeying, completing mission, etc. and work by grace from Him (Philippians 2); we live surrounded by adulterous Babylon - walk in righteousness only by the grace of God
  • 19:14 Jesus returns and He is not alone - we know from all of the NT that He is coming back to participate in His reign forever - let's by ready!
My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has saved me from eternal damnation - You are King of kings and Lord of Lords!  I am grateful.  Yet I am undeserving.  My sin is daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.