Sunday, January 19, 2020

Blessed and holy are those who share in the first resurrection. The second death has no power over them, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with him for a thousand years.

Revelation 20

Blessed and holy are those who share in the first resurrection. The second death has no power over them, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with him for a thousand years. v6

Session #11 of David Platt - Revelation: The Hope of Glory (requires login which I have though my church) focuses on Revelation 20.  The title of the session is What Ultimately Matters Regarding the Millennium.

This chapter is widely disputed and is possibly THE most widely disputed in this book. There are many aspects of this the chapter where meaning and interpretation are difficult to discern - yet once again we should not miss the broader theme or core messages of this book.

Where we need to start today:  it is sanctifying to disagree about the millennium. Greats have all disagreed about these things and we should approach this chapter with humility.  It is sin to divide over the millennium.

Uncertainties about this chapter (additional perspectives by John Piper) and the millennium:
  • are these passages arranged chronologically or cyclically?
  • is the millennium before Christ's return or after; is it now/in the present or in the future?
  • is the millennium 1000 years?
  • will the millennium involve a spiritual resurrection of Christians to reign on earth or Heaven during the millennium?
For certain:
  • Christ has come once and Satan has been bound/restrained; saints - you are not defeated! Satan could not stop Christ and cannot stop Christians (Revelation 12)
  • We are IN the millennium; Christians who are alive now reign with Christ on earth; Satan cannot keep the church from proclaiming the gospel, and he cannot keep the nations from believing the gospel.
  •  Christians who have died now reign with Christ in Heaven; they are worshiping God as priests while they rule with Christ as judge.
  • Christ will come again, and Satan will be obliterated - Revelation 20; after the final period of revolt, there will be a final point of Satanic defeat.
  • The return of Christ will usher in full and final judgment, once and for all.
What is absolutely clear in God's word forever:
  • God is sovereign
  • Satan is subordinate; he limited and bound, and doomed to be defeated
  • Gospel will advance through the church
  • Jesus will return for the church
  • Every single will one of us will be judged by God - Revelation 12:12; two questions will be prevalent - (Book of Deeds and Book of Life ) (1) did we put our faith in Christ's work? (2) was their evidence (fruit) of faith in our work?  Were we faithful in our worship, witness? Did we fight against sin? Did we trust amidst suffering?  Two destinations await = either eternal torment OR everlasting joy with Him forever.
My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You reign - in the beginning, in the past, now, in the future and forevermore!  You died for me and all of humanity - after living a perfect sinless life.  Thank You Jesus!  I am undeserving.  I sin...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.