Thursday, October 22, 2020

And the word of the Lord came again to Zechariah: “This is what the Lord Almighty said: ‘Administer true justice; show mercy and compassion to one another. Do not oppress the widow or the fatherless, the foreigner or the poor. Do not plot evil against each other.’

Zechariah 7-8 and Ezra 6

 And the word of the Lord came again to Zechariah: “This is what the Lord Almighty said: ‘Administer true justice; show mercy and compassion to one another. Do not oppress the widow or the fatherless, the foreigner or the poor. Do not plot evil against each other.’ Zechariah 7:8-10

Day 271 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as my commentary* describes in both Zechariah and Ezra how, upon return from exile, God works to encourage completion of the temple and a strengthening of spiritual life.  My commentary describes the roles of both Haggai and Zechariah: "Haggai’s mission was to construct the temple of God in Jerusalem, Zechariah’s mission is to establish the spiritual house of Israel. It is Zechariah’s role to interpret the significance of their work and to give them reason to persevere. The temple is still not completed. The city walls have not even begun to be rebuilt. The outlying towns and lands are still in rubble and disarray. And, worst of all, the religious life of the people is slow in developing after the years in exile, during which religious exercise had naturally waned. Therefore God presents Zechariah with an opportunity to bring encouragement to his people, to explain the essence of true religion and thus to breathe meaning into the noble enterprise in which they are engaged. The opportunity comes two years after Zechariah’s eight visions, when the people of Bethel ask Zechariah about observing certain religious days. God’s message through Zechariah is like that brought by the prophet Amos: true religion finds its expression in moral lives and social justice."

With Ezra 6, my commentary also describes the completion of the temple: "[w]ith the encouragement of Haggai and Zechariah, the work on the temple goes forward to completion in the year 516 B.C. Just as 70 years elapsed from the first deportation to the return of the first settlers, it has been 70 years since the temple of Solomon was destroyed, in 586 B.C. The precision with which God works in the affairs of nations stands as a wonderful witness to his power in the lives of individuals as well. This exact fulfillment of God’s promise ought to encourage people everywhere to know that he truly is God—the faithful God who keeps his promises."

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

God is certainly faithful

He also implores us to be His hands and feet - to be the hands and feet of Jesus and to serve as He did.  

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are indeed faithful as all of Your promises are true - we can count and rely on You as our firm foundation.  Thank You Jesus! I am not deserving for how faithful You are to me and to all believers. My sin continues...daily...worry, gossip, harsh words and actions, lack of patience.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.