Sunday, October 4, 2020

Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me.

Job 8-10

Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me. Luke 9:23, Matthew 16:24

Day 253 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues with my study of Job. Yesterday Job's friend Eliphaz addresses him and today we see Bildad seek to comfort his friend Job and to help him understand his suffering.  Job responds to Bildad in Job 9:21, claiming he is "blameless".  Yet Job is not blameless or without sin - none of us are (see Romans 3:23 and 1 John 1:8).  Pride remains in his life - see John Piper on Job.

Pride and arrogance are powerful sins - this I know from my own life and how these sins impact me.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank You for Your patience with me and how You have refined me and lessened pride and arrogance in my life...I know there is more work to do, but I am grateful for the sanctification You have done in my life. I am not deserving of how much You love me.  My sin, including pride and arrogance, continues.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.