Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.

Zechariah 1-6

Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. Hebrews 11:1

Day 270 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as my commentary* moves focuses on the ministry of Zechariah, as he shares eight visions. According to the commentary*, the first vision is assurance that Israel is to prosper as she is restored. The second vision is that "Israel’s oppressors will indeed be punished". The third vision "is assurance that God will be among his returning people". The fourth vision is "assurance that the sins of the people will be removed by him who is called the Branch". The fifth vision is "assurance that God will complete his temple through his two anointed ones". The sixth vision is "assurance that wickedness will always be punished". The seventh vision "assurance that wicked nations will be brought to their knees". The eighth vision is "assurance that there is to be rest at last!" Finally, "Zechariah is...told to place a crown on the head of Joshua the high priest, an enactment which is symbolic of the Messiah, who will be both Priest and King over his people. As the office of high priest evolves in post-exilic Israel, it will take on king-like overtones. This change will prove to be significant when the Messiah comes to establish his own kingdom, for his “kingship” will threaten the priestly power structure and will lead ultimately to his death".

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

Most importantly, as John Piper puts it this podcast, believers should have assurance that "we are children of God" not just now, but also that we remain His forever.

This assurance is key to our faith.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a God that does not change and Your promises to us do not change as and they are true as You are faithful.  Thank You Jesus for the assurance that we are Yours and always will be.  I am not deserving for the assurance You provide.  My sin is great and it is daily, including worry, etc.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.