Thursday, October 15, 2020

We do not make requests of you because we are righteous, but because of your great mercy.

Daniel 5, 9

We do not make requests of you because we are righteous, but because of your great mercy. Daniel 9:18

Day 264 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues with a look back at Daniel during his time in exile in Babylonia.  The readings and commentary* from this morning include (1) Daniel's interpretation of writing that mysteriously appeared on the wall during a banquet of Belshazzar (Nebuchadnezzar's son), and (2) the angel Gabriel's response to Daniel's prayer of contrition following his reading of Jeremiah's prophesied 70 year exile (of which 7 more years remain).  

Arrogance once again appears as a theme as Daniel 5 describes how Belshazzar's arrogance and idol worship led to his downfall:

“But you, Belshazzar, his son, have not humbled yourself, though you knew all this. Instead, you have set yourself up against the Lord of heaven. You had the goblets from his temple brought to you, and you and your nobles, your wives and your concubines drank wine from them. You praised the gods of silver and gold, of bronze, iron, wood and stone, which cannot see or hear or understand. But you did not honor the God who holds in his hand your life and all your ways. Therefore he sent the hand that wrote the inscription. “This is the inscription that was written:

mene, mene, tekel, parsin

“Here is what these words mean:

Mene: God has numbered the days of your reign and brought it to an end.

Tekel: You have been weighed on the scales and found wanting.

Peres: Your kingdom is divided and given to the Medes and Persians.” Daniel 5:22-28

The second part of the reading from this morning, which focuses on the angel Gabriel's response to Daniel's prayer of contrition following his reading of Jeremiah's prophesied 70 year exile (of which 7 more years remain), as described in my commentary*,  indicates how there is "much discussion" about the interpretation/meaning of Gabriel's message while at the same time settling on the certainty that God is always at work.

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are indeed a great God who is always at work and I know that I am work in progress - thank You for Your great patience and mercy for me.  I am not deserving of any of the blessings You pour out for me.  My sin is great and it continues - gossip, harsh words and actions, worry, etc.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.