Saturday, October 17, 2020

But many of the older priests and Levites and family heads, who had seen the former temple, wept aloud when they saw the foundation of this temple being laid, while many others shouted for joy.

Ezra 1-4

But many of the older priests and Levites and family heads, who had seen the former temple, wept aloud when they saw the foundation of this temple being laid, while many others shouted for joy. Ezra 3:12

Day 266 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as my commentary moves to the book of Ezra where the Bible chronicles the initial period of restoration (Ca. 535-425 B.C.) as the first exiles return to Jerusalem. My commentary* describes how although there were many "who took Jeremiah’s advice [to] buy or build homes, begin businesses, and learn a new language and way of life [in Babylonia]....and how [t]here is also a whole new generation of Jews, as they are now called, who have never even set foot in Palestine. Despite the [circumstances], over 42,000 decide to return under the leadership of Sheshbazzar, who is appointed governor."

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

Efforts to rebuild the temple commence as the temple articles are returned.  Yet Ezra records how there were some who could not find it in themselves to celebrate such a joyous occasion.  Grumbling and complaining about circumstances is a frequent theme in the Bible and God calls it as He sees it - the grumbles and complaints are really directed towards Him.

The reality is that God gives us what we don't deserve (grace) and not what we do deserve (death). 

One of the verses raised yesterday in my post rings true today just as it did yesterday.

"Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus". 1 Thessalonians 5:18

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You provide during ALL times - regardless of what I may think are thick or thin times - good or bad, You never stop loving me and You never stop providing for me.  I am grateful for the many mercies You give me - I am not deserving. My sin continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.