Monday, October 26, 2020

Rejoice greatly, Daughter Zion! Shout, Daughter Jerusalem! See, your king comes to you, righteous and victorious, lowly and riding on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a donkey.

Zechariah 9-14

Rejoice greatly, Daughter Zion! Shout, Daughter Jerusalem! See, your king comes to you, righteous and victorious, lowly and riding on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a donkey. Zechariah 9:9

Day 275 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as I go back to Zechariah to focus on his last prophecies. My commentary* notes: "[t]he prophecies, in the form of two oracles, are once again highly figurative. They are undoubtedly messianic and give some of the clearest details about the life and death of the Messiah. For example, in contrast to the present kings and their chariots of war, this spiritual King will come gently in peace, riding on a donkey. He will be betrayed for 30 pieces of silver, and he will be pierced at the time of his death. Zechariah addresses a number of themes—past, present, and future—which lead to an apocalyptic view of the great battle between good and evil, the destruction of the wicked, and the salvation of the righteous."

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

Zechariah's prophecies, estimated by my commentary* to be written no later than 460 B.C., foretold of Jesus, arriving with great humility (see also post yesterday).  We must not conform to the patterns of this world but instead be transformed by the renewing of the mind (Romans 12:2).  The patterns of this world do not emphasize or put faith in gentleness or humility but as believers we must deny ourselves and allow Jesus to be seen in us as we exist not to glorify ourselves but to glorify God

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are indeed worthy of glory and worthy of my worship and sacrifice - a living sacrifice. I seek to make much of Your name.  You have blessed me beyond what I deserve as I don't deserve anything.  My sin is great but You cleanse me. Thank You Jesus!  But I am not deserving.  I continue to worry, etc. Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You. Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.