Saturday, October 31, 2020

I had not been sad in his presence before, so the king asked me, “Why does your face look so sad when you are not ill? This can be nothing but sadness of heart.” I was very much afraid, but I said to the king, “May the king live forever! Why should my face not look sad when the city where my ancestors are buried lies in ruins, and its gates have been destroyed by fire?” The king said to me, “What is it you want?” Then I prayed to the God of heaven, and I answered the king, “If it pleases the king and if your servant has found favor in his sight, let him send me to the city in Judah where my ancestors are buried so that I can rebuild it.”

Nehemiah 1-3

I had not been sad in his presence before, so the king asked me, “Why does your face look so sad when you are not ill? This can be nothing but sadness of heart.” I was very much afraid, but I said to the king, “May the king live forever! Why should my face not look sad when the city where my ancestors are buried lies in ruins, and its gates have been destroyed by fire?” The king said to me, “What is it you want?” Then I prayed to the God of heaven, and I answered the king, “If it pleases the king and if your servant has found favor in his sight, let him send me to the city in Judah where my ancestors are buried so that I can rebuild it.” Nehemiah 2:1-5

Day 280 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as my commentary* turns to from the book Ezra to the book of Nehemiah where it is described "[w]hile Ezra is proceeding with the revitalization of the law in Israel, a man soon to be his closest associate is back in the Persian palace at Susa in the position of the king’s cupbearer....It has been some 14 years since Artaxerxes authorized Ezra to lead the second group of exiles back to Jerusalem. In the interim, the further construction of the city and its wall has been hampered by a number of problems, apparently including sabotage by those who wish to see Israel remain weak....Now, in 445 B.C., a report of this delay comes to Nehemiah through one of his brothers who has just arrived from Palestine. The report so upsets Nehemiah that Artaxerxes notices his sadness and inquires as to its cause. When Nehemiah explains his concern, Artaxerxes agrees to appoint Nehemiah as temporary governor and commissions him to go to Jerusalem to rebuild the wall. It takes little time to see that Nehemiah is a man of action. He immediately travels to Jerusalem, assesses the situation firsthand, devises an ingenious plan for working on the wall, sidesteps his opponents, and completes his primary mission within six months of receiving his commission from the king!"

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition.

Artaxerxes' question posed to Nehemiah reminds me of how God grants Solomon one wish and how Solomon requests wisdom (see 1 Kings 3 and 2 Chronicles 1).  The Bible of course is clear how we are to go to God to seek wisdom:  

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction. Proverbs 1:7

Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and he will establish your plans. Proverbs 16:3

From a previous post

If we focus on renewing of the mind (Romans 12:2) we can best understand God's will for our lives and direct ourselves using God as a lamp for our feet:
 
Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path. Psalm 119:105
 
My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has helped me with decisions big and small as You have renewed my mind - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love.  My sin continues.  Please forgive me for my worry and other sins.  Help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You and help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind.  Help me love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.