Tuesday, October 20, 2020

“You expected much, but see, it turned out to be little. What you brought home, I blew away. Why?” declares the Lord Almighty. “Because of my house, which remains a ruin, while each of you is busy with your own house.

Haggai 1-2, Zechariah 1

“You expected much, but see, it turned out to be little. What you brought home, I blew away. Why?” declares the Lord Almighty. “Because of my house, which remains a ruin, while each of you is busy with your own house. Haggai 1:9

Day 269 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as my commentary* moves to the ministry of Haggai and Zechariah, as they are described as "prophets of God.  Little is known about Haggai, but it is surmised that he is one of the exiles who remembers the former temple before its destruction. If so, he is probably at least 75 years old. His very young associate, Zechariah, was evidently born in Babylonia into the priestly family of Iddo, his grandfather. It was Haggai and Zechariah, of course, who had initiated the renewal of the work which led to Tattenai’s letter and Darius’ decree. Now, over a four-month period, they will continue to encourage the construction effort. Through Haggai, God tells the people why they have been facing such economic problems. It is because they have set their own selfish interests as the highest priority rather than totally committing themselves to construction of the temple."

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

God makes it clear that He must come first - yet by nature, we are selfish and self-centered, focusing on ourselves more so than God (and certainly not others). 

“Anyone who wants to be first must be the very last, and the servant of all.” Mark 9:35
 
My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who came to serve, ...me, and all of humanity.  You laid down Your life for me - incredible!  I am not deserving of such an act.  My sin continues...selfishness, gossip, worry, etc.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior. Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.