Tuesday, October 13, 2020

But they soon forgot what he had done and did not wait for his plan to unfold....They exchanged their glorious God for an image of a bull, which eats grass. They forgot the God who saved them, who had done great things in Egypt, miracles in the land of Ham and awesome deeds by the Red Sea....They did not destroy the peoples as the Lord had commanded them, but they mingled with the nations and adopted their customs. They worshiped their idols, which became a snare to them.

Psalm 102, 106, 123, 137

But they soon forgot what he had done and did not wait for his plan to unfold....They exchanged their glorious God for an image of a bull, which eats grass. They forgot the God who saved them, who had done great things in Egypt, miracles in the land of Ham and awesome deeds by the Red Sea....They did not destroy the peoples as the Lord had commanded them, but they mingled with the nations  and adopted their customs. They worshiped their idols, which became a snare to them. Psalm 106:13, 20-22, 34-36

Day 262 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as I complete a quick review of the Psalms my commentary describes as prayers for those in exile who "[l]ike Job...have fallen from prosperity into shame".  Yesterday, I covered six of these prayers, and today I cover the remaining four. 

In the midst of these prayers we find sources of God's anger, the sin which aroused God's anger. While not exhaustive, the Psalm 106 contains a few key highlights. 

God wants us to love others as He loves us (John 13:34), and this includes being patient - yet Israel fails to remain patient.  We too often assume that God is not at work in our suffering, yet He is always at work. When we lose our patience, we fall prey to snares and sin creeps into our lives. 

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is SO patient with me.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of Your patience and the many blessings You pour out for me.  I too often lack patience with others.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.