Friday, July 8, 2022

Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.

Ephesians 4

Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32

I pause on my studies of both Isaiah and of Proverbs to listen to today's Solid Joys daily devotion on DesiringGod.com.  John Piper's devotion today examines how we are to view our own state of being forgiven of our sins by God, and how this should drive believers to love and forgive others.  John 13:34 writes how Jesus commands us "to love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another." And here we have Ephesians 4:32 where Jesus commands us to forgive others as God forgave us.  Piper writes how we cannot love and forgive others as Jesus does for us if we simply view our salvation and His forgiveness of our sins as being "off the hook." Piper explains it by stating "[i]t means savoring the truth that a forgiving God is the most precious reality in the universe. Saving faith cherishes being forgiven by God, and from there rises to cherishing the God who forgives — and all that he is for us in Jesus. This experience has a tremendous effect on our becoming forgiving people."

God, please help me see You, the forgiving God, as the most precious reality in the universe.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who is full of love and forgiveness for me - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin continues...daily.  Please forgive of my sin for not going to You first today - help me turn from and overcome my sin and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me. Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.