Friday, July 22, 2022

Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God.

Psalm 42

Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God. Psalm 42:11

I paused once more on my studies of both Isaiah and Proverbs to listen to DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotional, which builds on my post yesterday where the daily devotion focused on how we can battle discouragement.  Today the devotion focuses on how "preaching to self" is a powerful method to fight discouragement and despondency. Piper refers to Martin Lloyd-Jones' book Spiritual Depression and how we are prone to listen to the self-doubting statements that swirl about our heads from the moment we wake in the morning.  Lloyd-Jones encourages us to "talk [preach] to ourselves" vs "listening to ourselves."  Piper writes that: "[t]his is what the psalmist does in Psalm 42. The psalmist preaches to his troubled soul. He scolds himself and argues with himself. And his main argument is future grace: 'Hope in God! Trust in what God will be for you in the future. A day of praise is coming. The presence of the Lord will be all the help you need. And he has promised to be with us forever.'"

We should be encouraged to battle the chatter in our heads - trust in God, believe in Him, fight back, and use scripture and the Holy Spirit!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an incredible God and I know You love me and You are for me and You never leave or forsake me.  You also provide the Holy Spirit, the church, Your Word, and my brothers and sisters in Christ - all as a means for me to grow in my faith to endure and be a light.  Thank You Jesus!  I am encouraged!  Yet I am not deserving of Your grace...my sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.