Sunday, July 3, 2022

Enter into the joy of your master...These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.

Matthew 25 and John 15

Enter into the joy of your master...These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full. Matthew 25:23 and John 15:11

I pause on my studies of both Isaiah and of Proverbs to listen to today's Solid Joys daily devotion on DesiringGod.com.  John Piper offers that God is happy God.   He starts by citing 1 Timothy 1:11 which refers to God as blessed, and Piper writes that "[i]t was inconceivable to the apostle Paul that God could be denied infinite joy and still be all-glorious. To be infinitely glorious was to be infinitely happy."  He also refers to Jonathan Edwards who stated "[p]art of God’s fullness which he communicates is his happiness. This happiness consists in enjoying and rejoicing in himself; so does also the creature’s happiness."  Piper then describes how the gospel is inherently happy: "[n]o one would want to spend eternity with a gloomy, unhappy God."  He then uses both Matthew 25:23 and John 15:11 to further bolster this claim that God is a happy God.  Before we depart from this topic, it should be understood that God does indeed seek for us to be joyful and we must appreciate how this is a supernatural joy - not an earthly joy delivered through idol worship or love of the world.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who is full of joy, and as a believer, You allow me to experience this supernatural joy - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues, including how often I seek my comfort first - over You.  This is sinful.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior. Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.