Sunday, July 10, 2022

On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’

Matthew 7

On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ Matthew 7:22

I extended for one more day a pause on my studies of both Isaiah and of Proverbs to listen to today's Solid Joys daily devotion on DesiringGod.com.  John Piper's devotion today examines how Jesus, in His Sermon on the Mount, warns us against a works-orientation that demonstrates pride, "self-direction, self-reliance, and self-exaltation....[Piper goes on to state that] "[i]n all of this, the basic satisfaction of the works-orientation is the savor of being an assertive, autonomous, and, if possible, triumphant self."   Instead, Piper encourages us to demonstrate a faith-orientation that "longs for the joy of seeing God glorified for his capability and strength and wisdom and grace."

We must remember that all that we have and do is a gift from God and that we exist to glorify Him

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God and I know that all that I have and all that I am able to do is only because of You.  You provide for all of my needs and I know You work in my life - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength. Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.