Saturday, July 23, 2022

By faith Moses, when he was grown up, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh's daughter, choosing rather to be mistreated with the people of God than to enjoy the fleeting pleasures of sin. He considered the reproach of Christ greater wealth than the treasures of Egypt, for he was looking to the reward.

Hebrews 11

By faith Moses, when he was grown up, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh's daughter, choosing rather to be mistreated with the people of God than to enjoy the fleeting pleasures of sin. He considered the reproach of Christ greater wealth than the treasures of Egypt, for he was looking to the reward. Hebrews 11:24-26

I paused again on my studies of both Isaiah and Proverbs to listen to DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotional, which focuses on "How to Defy Sinful Desire."  Piper first starts by contrasting sinful desire as offering only "fleeting pleasure" vs the lasting and permanent joy of Jesus Christ.  He then offers several scripture examples that arm us to defy sin and point us to this more lasting and permanent joy:

  • It is better to gouge out my eye than to lust (Matthew 5:29).
  • If I think about things that are pure and lovely and excellent, the peace of God will be with me (Philippians 4:8–9).
  • Setting the mind on the flesh brings death, but setting the mind on the Spirit brings life and peace (Romans 8:6).
  • Lust wages war against my soul (1 Peter 2:11), and that the pleasures of this life choke out the life of the Spirit (Luke 8:14).
  • God withholds no good thing from those who walk uprightly (Psalm 84:11), and that the pure in heart will see God (Matthew 5:8). 

I also understand how the sanctification process works and reflect on Romans 12:2 where Paul describes how God transforms us by renewing our mind - this renewing of the mind occurs as we grow closer to God and our thoughts turn to pleasing Him vs self. 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank You for coming into my life and my heart and for the sanctification process as You help me defy sin.  I am not deserving of how You love me in this way or any other way - my sin is great and it continues.  Please forgive me Jesus of my sin today and help me overcome and turn from it towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin. Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.