Saturday, July 16, 2022

For the Lord comforts Zion; he comforts all her waste places and makes her wilderness like Eden, her desert like the garden of the Lord; joy and gladness will be found in her, thanksgiving and the voice of song.

Isaiah 51-53

For the Lord comforts Zion; he comforts all her waste places and makes her wilderness like Eden, her desert like the garden of the Lord; joy and gladness will be found in her, thanksgiving and the voice of song. Isaiah 51:3

I continued my deep dive of Isaiah, based on the Precept Upon Precept study series - on Day 2 of Lesson 19, I once again focus - more deeply this time - on Isaiah 51. My commentary shares the following divisions for this chapter:

  1. Listen to Me! The God of Abraham will again create righteousness from nothing (v1-6)
  2. Listen to Me! The God of the Exodus will again make a way for His people (v7-11)
  3. How dare you fear man more than Me? Through you I will establish eternity (v12-16)
  4. Wake Up! The time has come for your tormentors to fall (v17-23)

The commentary then notes the following applications:

  1. Listen to the Word of the Lord and feed our hearts on His past achievements in scripture so that we may be filled with a powerful hope, no matter how bleak the circumstances.
  2. We should learn to fear God and obey Him more than we fear human beings, no matter how threatening or powerful they appear.
  3. We should fully embrace the future this chapter clearly unfolds: for the present universe, total destruction; for the believers, a new heaven and new earth in which they will worship God eternally in joy; for the wicked tormentors, a cup of wrath.  These themes should strongly color the way we live every day-pursuing righteousness in the fear of the Lord and seeking to deliver the prisoners held by chains of sin.

In particular, I am struck by application #1 and #2 and rest in Isiah 51:3 where God reminds us of how He comforts us and turns our wilderness circumstances into Eden - and we can find joy and gladness in Him, no matter our circumstances.  

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God and I trust in You for You turn all of wilderness experiences into Eden and You have redeemed me from the bondage of sin.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of my salvation....the greatest gift of all time.  My sin is great and it continues.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.