Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Thus says the Lord, your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: “I am the Lord your God, who teaches you to profit, who leads you in the way you should go. Oh that you had paid attention to my commandments! Then your peace would have been like a river, and your righteousness like the waves of the sea; your offspring would have been like the sand, and your descendants like its grains; their name would never be cut off or destroyed from before me.”

Isaiah 47-50

Thus says the Lord, your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: “I am the Lord your God, who teaches you to profit, who leads you in the way you should go. Oh that you had paid attention to my commandments!  Then your peace would have been like a river, and your righteousness like the waves of the sea; your offspring would have been like the sand, and your descendants like its grains; their name would never be cut off or destroyed from before me.” Isaiah 48:17-19

I resumed my deep dive of Isaiah, based on the Precept Upon Precept study series - today moving on to Lesson 18 day 2, which focuses on Isaiah 48. My commentary offers the following divisions for this chapter:

  1. The sovereign God predicts and works history to win His stubborn people (v1-8)
  2. The patient God refines His people for His glory and our benefit (v9-11)
  3. The eternal God will bring Cyrus to achieve His purpose (v12-16)
  4. The loving God will send another to redeem His people (v16-22)

All believers can identify to some degree as "obstinate" (v4) in one or more areas of their life, but we have a God that is full of grace and compassion for us - saving us DESPITE what we do and who are. God's words to us in v17-19 are all the more special as we recognize how once we became believers we see the truth in these verses. I see four blessings and promises of God as a result of faith and trust in God: (a) God leads us, (b) He gives us peace, (c) many descendants, and (d) He never leaves or forsakes us

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an incredible God who loves me, and who is full of grace and compassion for me - despite who I am and what I have done (and will continue to do).  Thank You Jesus!  Thank You for the gift of faith and salvation.  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.