Tuesday, October 14, 2014

It was cold, and the servants and officials stood around a fire they had made to keep warm. Peter also was standing with them, warming himself.

John 18

 It was cold, and the servants and officials stood around a fire they had made to keep warm. Peter also was standing with them, warming himself. v18

I did not read far enough yesterday to catch this but fear and desire to stay in one's comfort zone work hand in hand.  Peter perhaps was led to say "Yes, I am" but fear for his life - justifiably so - kept him in his comfort zone.  For him, he had an option to stay comfortable...literally he kept comfortable warming himself on a cold night. 

We are no different from Peter.  When led to take a step in a direction that is fearful for us, when provided an option to remain in our comfort zone...we very often stay in our comfort zone...I know I do.

One thing for us to consider is that Jesus provides comfort, while at the same time He calls us to step out to perform His work. 

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You provide comfort and refuge during fearful times.  Yet You call us out to do Your work at the same time. I have witnessed the comfort that comes from staying near to You when stepping out.  Your plans and Your design is perfect.  You are always there.  Thank You Jesus.  Yet I am not worth the love, blessing, refuge, protection, comfort You provide...too often I am cowardly, lacking in trust/faith, lazy, etc.  Please forgive me...help me turn from such sin and towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, mind, and strength.  Help me love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.