Thursday, October 9, 2014

"For them I sanctify myself, that they too may be truly sanctified."

John 17

"For them I sanctify myself, that they too may be truly sanctified."  v17

Continuing on from my post yesterday, Jesus is praying before He heads to the cross and with this passage above He explicitly reveals the purpose of His death on the cross.  While I have read the other gospels, I can't recall the other gospels including details of Jesus' prayers that explicitly detail the purpose of His crucifixion.  It is a very real possibility that I have missed something...

On a related note, here is a dictionary definition of sanctify...I like definition #2 "to free from sin".
 
Anyway, this is proof positive of Jesus' love for us...and for me because He says He is dying for us...the ultimate act of service.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are indeed a great God...You love me so much You died for me.  I am in awe...I can't believe that You would do such a thing particularly because I continue to sin.  I am not worth such love and blessing.  I am lack patience and then some!  Thank You that You love me anyway but please forgive me Jesus.  Help me turn from such sin and towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, mind, and strength.  Help me love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.