Thursday, October 30, 2014

Great fear seized the whole church and all who heard about these events.

Acts 5

Great fear seized the whole church and all who heard about these events. v11

Ananias and his wife Sapphira knew that they held back in their giving to the church and they paid the ultimate price for their sin. Yet at the same time, all of us hold back from God in some form or another...whether it is $$ of some other aspect of our life.  It is in our nature to want to control...we don't want to fully surrender all aspects of our life to Jesus.  This is sinful - we are to love the Lord with all of our heart, soul, mind, and strength (Matthew 22:37-38).  At the same time, we don't truly believe that we will pay any price for our sin...unfortunately we will and the timing and the form of our price is entirely at the mercy of Jesus Christ Our Lord and Savior.

We know this:

For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 6:23

...and this:

There is a time for everything,
    and a season for every activity under the heavens[.] Ecclesiastes 3:1

Healthy fear and respect for the Lord is a critical component of our love for Him.

My Prayer: Lord, You are great and Your design and will are also great.  You have designed my life and while I grumble (sinfully so) about it...I do recognize that it is perfect in Your eyes and You have blessed me well beyond what I deserve.  I not only grumble way too much...but I am selfish, quick to anger, slow to listen, harsh with my words, impatient, etc.  Thank You for the many blessings You have provided and for loving me no less - despite my sin.  Please forgive me for my grumbling and my other sin...help me turn from such sin and towards You Jesus.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, mind and strength.  Help me love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Help me have fear and respect for You Jesus.