Monday, February 15, 2016

For he has not despised or scorned the suffering of the afflicted one; he has not hidden his face from him but has listened to his cry for help.

Psalm 22

For he has not despised or scorned the suffering of the afflicted one; he has not hidden his face from him but has listened to his cry for help. v24

David is suffering in anguish, even claiming God was forsaking him (v1) yet he recognizes ultimately that God's loves all of his children, and that he will not forsake any of them regardless of their sin or circumstances - all lives matter.  

Then Jesus told them this parable: “Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep and loses one of them. Doesn’t he leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it? And when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders and goes home. Then he calls his friends and neighbors together and says, ‘Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep.’ I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent. Luke 15:3-7

See also the parable of the Prodigal Son here also in Luke 15. 

I am also drawn to John 13 where God ups the ante in terms of how we are to love one another: 

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” John 13:34-35

These verses in particular are striking given that God does not ignore any of His children...we must not ignore anyone either....all are deserving of God's love.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, what a great God You are...You know everything about me, yet You are patient with me, full of grace and mercy for me, and You chose me then died for me...an amazing gift...the greatest gift of all time.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not worth such a gift.  I am selfish and I continue to be harsh with my words.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me turn from such sin and towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, mind and strength.  Help me love others as You do and NOT ignore anyone!  Help me grow in my faith.Give me strength.  Give Lisa strength.  Please heal and cure her of her cancer and the side effects from chemo and radiation.  Help me lead and  serve Lisa, Zach and Dustin, and serve You.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.