Wednesday, May 4, 2016

But as for me, I am poor and needy; come quickly to me, O God. You are my help and my deliverer; Lord, do not delay.

Psalm 70

But as for me, I am poor and needy; come quickly to me, O God. You are my help and my deliverer; Lord, do not delay. v5

Indeed...as David says, apart from God (Psalm 16), we are all poor in spirit, sinful, and broken.  We desperately need Jesus.

[F]or all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. Romans 3:23

Humility is very important in our relationship with Jesus.  Otherwise, pride and arrogance reign.  


In the same way, you who are younger, submit yourselves to your elders. All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, "God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble.” Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. 1 Peter 5:5-6

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others. Philippians 2:3-4
 
For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.” Luke 18:14
 
 Humility is also critical so that we can allow Jesus to work through us so others can see Jesus in us - see also my post yesterday as we exist to glorify God.
 
In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. Matthew 5:16
 
My Prayer: Lord, I AM poor and needy and I need You to quickly come to my side and to be with me always (as I know You are).  You ARE my help and deliverer...I know that apart from You I can do no good thing.  I am deeply grateful that You came for me, then suffered and died for me...knowing everything about me, including my sin. Thank You Jesus!  I am not worth such a gift...the greatest gift of all time.  I am impatient and I continue to express anger far too quickly.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome my sin and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, mind and strength. Help me love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give me strength. Give Lisa strength.  Please heal and cure her of her cancer and the side effects from chemo.  Help me lead and serve Lisa, Zach, and Dustin...and serve You.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.