Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.

Psalm 90

Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom. v12

Moses' words, as divined by God, highlight how our life here on earth is fleeting, and that we should respect God's sovereignty and power because He holds our lives in His hands.  We are then encouraged to live with the end in mind.

One of the implications of numbering our days is that we have a plan.  If our days have numbers than we are focused on completing something, something that God intends for us.  For Moses it was leading the Israelites to the promised land.  From Deuteronomy 34, we know that Moses left everything "on the table":

Since then, no prophet has risen in Israel like Moses, whom the Lord knew face to face, who did all those signs and wonders the Lord sent him to do in Egypt—to Pharaoh and to all his officials and to his whole land. For no one has ever shown the mighty power or performed the awesome deeds that Moses did in the sight of all Israel. Deuteronomy 34:10-12

I desire to live a life like Moses - one where the days are numbered - one where we live with a plan to finish the race (2 Timothy 4:7), living with the end in mind and living out the life that God intends for us.

My Prayer: Lord, You are an awesome God, worthy of my praise and worship...and so much more.  You are the beginning, the end, the Creator, and the One who holds all things together.  Thank You for being my God and for adopting me as Your son.  I am not worthy of such love as You have poured out and continue to pour out for me.  I am harsh with my thoughts and actions towards others.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me turn from such sin and turn towards others.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, mind and strength.  Help me love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give me strength.  Give Lisa strength. Please heal and cure her of her cancer and the side effects from chemo.  Help me lead and serve Lisa, Zach and Dustin...and serve You.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.