Sunday, March 24, 2019

But Zacchaeus stood up and said to the Lord, “Look, Lord! Here and now I give half of my possessions to the poor, and if I have cheated anybody out of anything, I will pay back four times the amount.”

Luke 19

But Zacchaeus stood up and said to the Lord, “Look, Lord! Here and now I give half of my possessions to the poor, and if I have cheated anybody out of anything, I will pay back four times the amount.” v8

In contrast to the rich young ruler in Luke 18 who went away sad, recognizing that he could not have both salvation and love/idolatry of his wealth, Zaccheus was willing to give up his love of money in return for salvation.  Note that Zaccheus did not give up ALL of his wealth but 50% of it.  The rich young ruler, in contrast, was asked by Jesus to give up all of his wealth to have eternal life.  The difference between the two from Jesus' perspective was their heart condition and views on wealth. Zaccheus did not place his wealth above God (or even at the same level of God) but the rich young ruler did.  Heart condition matters.

Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Matthew 6:19-21

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who blesses me with treasures that surpass earthly profit.  You are worth SO much more than gold or silver - and You bless me with faith, Your Word, the church, my brothers and sisters and Christ - thank You Jesus!  I am not worth such blessings.  I daily miss the mark - I often seek to bring glory to myself.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.