Thursday, March 7, 2019

In the same way, those of you who do not give up everything you have cannot be my disciples.

Luke 14

In the same way, those of you who do not give up everything you have cannot be my disciples. v33

Similar to yesterday's post on humility, Jesus speaks on the cost of faith.  First He addresses those who put earthly worries and concerns ahead of Jesus - The Parable of the Great Banquet (v15-24).  In this parable, Jesus warns us to beware of the "excuses" we place in front of our faith - I am guilty of this as much as anyone.  We often explain away or justify why we don't do this or that as Jesus commands us.  I am deeply convicted on this teaching.

Jesus then pivots to the cost of being a disciple (v25-34).  We are to place God first, above our earthly relationships (v25-27), and give up everything (v33).

There is indeed a cost - Jesus refers to this in John 16:33 where He says "[i]n this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world".  

Yet we should be encouraged by Paul's words on the surpassing worth of Jesus:

But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith. I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead.

Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:7-14

My Prayer: Jesus, You are an amazing God and worth it all - the greatest gift of all time!  Thank You Jesus for the many rich blessings You pour out for me.  Yet I am undeserving of such blessings.  I daily miss the mark.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.