Saturday, March 16, 2019

Whoever tries to keep their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life will preserve it.

Luke 17

Whoever tries to keep their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life will preserve it. v33

While the focus of v20-37 is Jesus' response to when the Kingdom of God will come (and whether the Kingdom of God is present or future), I am choosing to focus on v33 specifically.   

John Piper does a great job explaining how the Kingdom of God is with us now as a "fulfillment" but is yet to come as a "consummation".  

In v33 I am reminded of my tendency and desire to be "in control" and this conflicts with God's desire to own our heart and life.  He is in control. We need to recognize this and submit to His authority over all and specifically our lives.  Once we surrender our hearts and lives to Him, we can find peace that He will fight for us.

Read Exodus 14 and specifically Exodus 14:14.

The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still. Exodus 14:14

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who IS in control and that is a glorious thing!  I can do and have no good things without You Jesus and I need You desperately in my life - You have transformed my heart and life and I am blessed by You daily.  I am undeserving of such love and blessings. I daily miss the mark.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo. Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.