Wednesday, March 20, 2019

“Truly I tell you,” Jesus said to them, “no one who has left home or wife or brothers or sisters or parents or children for the sake of the kingdom of God will fail to receive many times as much in this age, and in the age to come eternal life.”

Luke 18

“Truly I tell you,” Jesus said to them, “no one who has left home or wife or brothers or sisters or parents or children for the sake of the kingdom of God will fail to receive many times as much in this age, and in the age to come eternal life.” v29

In v18-30 (also in Matthew 19 and Mark 10), Jesus engages in a conversation with a wealthy man (ruler) seeking to enter the Kingdom of God.  The wealthy man is looking for what he needs to do to inherit eternal life.  Jesus engages with the man who believes he is in good shape early in the conversation when he tells Jesus that he is already following the commandments indicated in v20.  Yet he stumbles when Jesus confronts Him with a challenge (sell everything that He has) that implies He is not following the most important commandments as Jesus describes in Matthew 22:34-40.  You see, the man loves his money and possessions more than God and this is the problem.

We need to love God - first and foremost - above everyone and every thing.

See also this great post from DesiringGod.com.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has paid the ultimate price for me - You suffered a gruesome death...for me.  I can't even fully grasp this yet I know this is true.  Thank You Jesus!  I am undeserving of such love and grace.  I gossip, and I worry, among my many, many sins...please forgive me Jesus!  Help me overcome and turn from my sin.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul and mind, and love others as You love me. Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.