Thursday, March 14, 2019

We are unworthy servants; we have only done our duty.

Luke 17

We are unworthy servants; we have only done our duty. v10

John Piper this morning helps us better understand how Jesus increases our faith through the messages of Luke 17:7-10.  

Piper explains how Jesus, in the previous verse (v6), Jesus emphasizes "that the crucial issue in accomplishing great things to advance the kingdom of God is not the quantity of our faith, but the power of God....By referring to the tiny mustard seed after being asked about increased faith, he deflects attention away from the quantity of faith to the object of faith. God moves mulberry trees. And it does not depend decisively on the quantity of our faith, but on his power and wisdom and love. In knowing this we are helped not to worry about our faith and are inspired to trust God’s free initiative and power."

In the following verses, Piper explains how, in v7-10, we are never deserving of thanks from God but instead we will always be a "debtor" to Him.  He then explains how "[w]e never move beyond the need for grace.

Our faith should be increased by our understanding that we are dependent on both God's power and His grace.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God - I have seen Your power in my life and in the lives of others...and I see Your grace daily!  Thank You Jesus.  I am undeserving of what You have done in my life and for the grace You dispense daily.  I daily miss the mark with my words and actions.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo. Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior. Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.