Saturday, May 2, 2020

And the Levites carried the ark of God with the poles on their shoulders, as Moses had commanded in accordance with the word of the Lord.


And the Levites carried the ark of God with the poles on their shoulders, as Moses had commanded in accordance with the word of the Lord. 1 Chronicles 15:15

Day 96 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) focuses on David as he completes his efforts to bring the ark of God back to Jerusalem, including the resulting celebration and praise of God.

This time, David is careful about following God's instructions about how the ark is to be carried - unlike 1 Chronicles 13 where it details how the ark was carried on a cart and steadied by Uzzah who accidentally touches the ark while preventing it from falling off the cart.  He is struck dead by God - see 1 Chronicles 13:9-10.

We ought to be careful about how we approach God - I am reminded of one of God's commandments that we are not to take the Lord's name in vain (the 3rd commandment - see Exodus 20). John Piper has this excellent post about how we are likely to take the Lord's name in vain when our hearts, minds and actions "empty God of his weight and his glory".  Piper encourages us to focus not on the negative perspective of this command but instead the first commandment where we are to "revere God, love God, delight in God, know God, [and] fill up God with all that he is. And then out of the abundance of the heart the mouth will speak".

See also my post yesterday on how our lives evidence fruit and how Jesus tells us what the most important commandments are.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who has transformed my heart and life - I am grateful for how You are able to produce fruit in my life - thank You Jesus!  Yet I am not deserving - I am still harsh with others.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.