Friday, May 29, 2020

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Psalm 139, 145, 148, and 150 

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Day 123 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues my focus on 112 of David's psalms which my study has not already covered or will not cover through other daily devotions as part of a broader study within their historical context. This study of these 112 psalms groups the psalms into five major topical areas, and I continue today with the group: "Psalms of Joy and Praise".

Today's psalms focus on praise over the wonder of God's total familiarity with each life, praise to a faithful, loving and righteous God, that all creatures praise the God of creation, and a call for all things to praise the Lord.

The core of today's reading encourages us to fully appreciate how God knows everything about us, the ugliness of our sin over the entirety of our lives, and how despite this knowledge, exercises grace and compassion - despite what we deserve. Psalm 139 more than anything from today's reading, captures God omniscience:

You have searched me, Lord, and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you, Lord, know it completely. You hem me in behind and before, and you lay your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain....For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139:1-6, 13-16

We know that the "wages of sin is death" (Romans 6:23), and this is what we deserve because we all sin.  Yet Jesus saves....and He does so despite knowing everything about us including our sin - nothing is hidden.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You indeed know everything about me and You hold not just my life but all life and the entire universe rests in Your hands - You are in control.  Despite knowing everything about me and being in co.ntrol - You love me anyway...and You came to earth as a baby to die on the cross so that I could have life here on earth and forever with You in Heaven!  Unbelievable.  I am not deserving of such a gift - the greatest gift of all time.  I sin...gossip, worry, etc. daily.  Thank You for Your grace and compassion but I need this also daily!  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul and mind and love others as You love me. Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.